MENTOR PROTÉGÉ PROGRAM
The Associated General Contractors (AGC) has joined hands with the City of San Diego to form a Mentor-Protégé program designed to assist small and emerging construction companies get off the ground and become successful contractors. The program, modeled after the Port of Portland's Mentor-Protégé Program, allows the construction industry to help select, retain, and graduate Protégé firms that represent San Diego's diverse population.
A formal board, which includes the AGC, City of San Diego, County of San Diego, the San Diego County Water Authority, and the San Diego Contracting Opportunities Center (SDCOC) - PTAC, serves in an advisory capacity to establish policy, solicit volunteers, participate in the mentor and protégé selection process, and monitor the progress of the program.
AGC provides mentors and other in-kind services, such as membership and training and education opportunities to the protégés. Mark Finch, Johnson, Finch & McClure Construction, Inc., lead's AGC's efforts, and he is committed to creating additional mentor-protégé teams and expanding the program within the AGC.
protégés are matched with AGC firms that provide the knowledge and expertise needed to get the protégés on the right track. Working together in monthly meetings with the City's Mentor-Protégé Program Manager, Herb Lemmons, the teams focus on business plans, reviewing existing financial conditions, and formulating specific plans to enhance each Protégé's capacity and/or capabilities.
Current Mentor-Protégé Teams
Mentor / Protégé
Rob Wilson, Orion Construction Corporation / Rick Fowler, Rick Fowler Construction, Inc.
Philip Peterson, Dynalectric Company - San Diego / Anthony Buescher, Service Electrical Systems
Steve Coker, TC Construction Company, Inc. /
Jon Cloud, J. Cloud, Inc.
Marc Penick, T.B. Penick & Sons, Inc. / Glenn Torrez, PRAVA Construction Services
To be Determined / Esselman Corp. dba San Diego Facility Solutions
To be Determined / Silverline Construction
- A.B. Hashmi, Inc.
- Accurate Engineering Integrated Construction Services
- American Marin
- Berrill Demolition, Inc.
- BPI Plumbing
- In-Line Fence & Rail Company, Inc.
- José Pereira Engineering & Mechanical, Inc.
- Pacific West Builders
- RKC Constructors, Inc.
- Roberts Electrical Contractor, Inc.
- Silva General Construction, Inc.
- St. Thomas Enterprises, Inc.
- Wiley Construction Company, Inc.
Examples of Protégé Accomplishments:
- Increased Bonding Capacities and Insurance Levels
- Developed Solid Estimating & Bidding Performance
- Expanded Contract Knowledge and Accounting Practices
- Prepared Successful Business Plans and Financial Documents
- Elevated Project Management and Leadership Skills
- Improved Human Resources and Marketing Strategies
- C.E. Wylie Construction Company
- Collins Plumbing, Inc.
- Cox Construction Company
- Helix Electric, Inc.
- I.E. Pacific, Inc.
- J.R. Filanc Construction Company, Inc.
- Orion Construction Corporation
- R.A. Burch Construction Co., Inc.
- Riha Construction Company
- Soltek Pacific Construction Company
- T.B. Penick & Sons, Inc.
- West America Corporation
- West Coast Air
How to Participate as a Mentor or Protégé
If you are interested in becoming a Mentor, please contact Brad Barnum, AGC Vice President Government Relations, at (858) 731-8158.
If you are interested in becoming a Protégé please contact Henry Foster III, Interim Director, City of San Diego, at (619) 533-6387.
To view Protégé Qualifications & Application click here